For Art’s Sake
Local group envisions a world-class arts and entertainment centre in Collingwood
On The Bay
by Judy Ross
photography by Jessica Crandlemire
Arts, Culture & Entertainment Group is a grassroots local organization made up of citizens who are dedicated and committed to building an Arts, Culture and Entertainment Centre in Collingwood.
Establish Collingwood as the centre of arts, culture and entertainment in the South Georgian Bay area.
- To build a world class, flexible, multi-purpose arts, culture and entertainment centre that is commercially successful by attracting professional artists & productions, while still supporting local talent and programs and both the current and future needs of the community.
- To support and promote all art forms including performing, visual and musical; across all ages and abilities.
- To design and build a centre that has flexible space and facilities that will accommodate the needs of many organizations and cohorts.
- The Centre will provide sufficient capacity to attract world class artists to perform in our town.
- Inclusivity, accessibility, sustainability and community engagement are the corner stones of the project.
- It is the intention of this group to collaborate with the various stakeholders and all levels of government in a Public, Private Partnership that supports the speedy completion of this project.
- To ask the Town of Collingwood Council to support the project with appropriate seed money to begin the project and participate in a joint feasibility study.
- To enlist the work of a professional fund raiser to develop and carry out a capital campaign to raise funds for the build project and ongoing operating support.
- To find an appropriate site for the build.
- To seek and engage professionals in the design, build and management of the facilities.
- To acknowledge the land and the First Nations peoples whose history is tied to it.
TO BUILD A CENTRE WHICH INCLUDES:
- Flexible and fully accessible theatre space to accommodate between 250 and 600 people.
- Including comfortable seating with professional standards for sight lines & acoustics.
- Appropriate professional sized stage with adequate back stage, wings, green, and dressing rooms with dedicated space for set construction and storage capabilities.
- State of the art sound and lighting equipment and infrastructure.
- Rehearsal & educational spaces.
- Outdoor gathering and performance spaces.
- Gallery space for art installations, speaker series, receptions & small events. Office space for theatre/property management, anchor production company, front of house & catering, tourism offices, etc.
- Box Office (central hub for ticketing).
- Retail space, (including gift shop, showcasing work by local artists and students).
- Food and Beverage outlet, (bar, café, light snacks).
- Kitchen and food prep area, (outside catering of events, weddings, etc.).
- Regional History Museum, highlighting our Indigenous and Ship Building History.
- Young Peoples Zone, (interactive areas that engage youth in the creative process).
To build a regional economic, cultural and creative engine that will serve the residents/taxpayers of Collingwood by:
- Addressing the needs of local organizations that currently have no facilities to hold recitals, rehearsals, etc., (revenue now going to Meaford, Barrie, etc.,).
- Drawing in new organizations from outside the town, (conferences, over flow from Blue, theatre productions, etc.,)
- Establishing Collingwood as the centre for Arts, Culture and Entertainment, which will attract new visitors and residents, drive income to businesses, sustain real estate, etc.
- Providing facilities and services that will attract all ages and provide education through experiences and formal engagement.
- Increasing new tax revenues.
- Increasing Tourism to the Town and Region.
- Providing new job opportunities.